History
The earliest evidences of the site date back to the Villanovan-Etruscan-Roman period as supported by the discovery of the so-called “Limentra bowl”, which bears an inscription in archaic Latin characters translated as “Appenines ward off fire”. Over the centuries , the mountain has acquired various names such as “Monte Palense” and “Monte di Giove” thus referring to pagan cults and in the end Monte di Santa Maria. When the building of the church of Santa Maria started in the XIth century , the place became an important devotional site with a marked eastern influence. The church, first mentioned in a document in 1054, was repeatedly enlarged and restored through the centuries undergoing numerous changes and alternating periods of splendor and decline. In particular, in the XIIth century, Montovolo became a refence point for the reconquest of the upper valleys by the Municipality of Bologna and a place of pilgrimage thanks to the widespread legend of Sant’Acazio.
In the Middle Ages, the sanctuary continued to be a place of devotion with the presence of lay brothers belonging to San Pietro rectory in Bologna. New altars and one new chapel were built. A massive restoration to the sanctuary took place in the XIXth century . The works brought to light the crypt preceding the current church and other architectural features including the marvellous XIth century capitals. Nowdays, Montovolo is an important place of worship and a destination for pilgrimage preserving its artistic charm. The churches of Santa Maria and Santa Caterina maintain their romanesque structure. They were built in opus quadratum by Lombard craftsmen. They are both oriented with the façade westward and the apse to the east. Outstanding is the view from Santa Maria churchyard, it wanders from Corno alle Scale to Cimone mountains.